2010年11月2日星期二

END OF THE No7; But Sean Og wi

Byline: PAUL KEANE

SEAN Og O hAilpin will make a return in Cork colours tomorrow night -- just days after being axed from the hurling panel.

steel fabricators

The Rebels legend has been surprisingly selected in a college combination side to take on Australia's touring International Rules team. It is likely to be his last time in the blood and bandage colours after confirming he was cut from Denis Walsh's panel at the weekend.

O hAilpin met Walsh for discussions on Saturday and was informed that he would be surplus to requirements for 2011.

It prompted the 33-year-old to pen a statement yesterday steel fabricators outlining his dissatisfaction with the process.

steel fabricators

The 2005 All-Ireland-winning captain, part of one of the greatest half-back lines in history, stated that he wished to play on for at least another year and would now be restricted to club hurling. The announcement ends a 14-year inter-county career that first began with a Championship debut against Limerick way back in 1996.

Former colleague Diarmuid O'Sullivan, who quit before Walsh took over after the winter strike crisis of 2008/'09, last night slammed the move.

'I think it's very, very strange,' said O'Sullivan. 'I think it brings Denis Walsh's managerial abilities into question once again.

'Can you replace the likes of Sean Og O hAilpin? He was one of Cork' s stand-out players in the All-Ireland semi-final against Kilkenny.

'Is there anyone to take his place within the Cork senior championship this year? I haven't seen so,' continued O'Sullivan. 'He's a legend to the game in Cork. He's a legend to a lot of people. He'll be sorely missed.'

Gucci bags

Walsh was unavailable for comment when contacted but is known to be in the process of contacting panellists and putting together a squad for 2011.

Gucci bags

'I met with the Cork hurling manager, Denis Walsh, on Saturday last where he informed me that I was not in his plans for the Cork hurling panel,' said O hAilpin in his statement.

'I would love to continue to play for Cork but I must respect the manager's decision in this regard.

'I will however keep playing with my club Na Piarsaigh.

'I would like to thank all the players who I played with over my 14-year career. I have always taken immense pride in wearing the Cork jersey and representing the county I love. I wish the Cork team the best of luck in their future endeavours.

'I would like to thank all of the Cork supporters and GAA supporters around the country for their phenomenal support throughout my career.'

O hAilpin is joined on a 30-man Cork third-level colleges panel to face Australia tomorrow night by CIT and UCC students including All-Ireland winners Colm O'Neill, Paul Kerrigan, Aidan Walsh and Ciaran Sheehan.

COLM Cooper looks certain to be the next Kerry football captain after his club Dr Crokes claimed their seventh county title at the weekend. The nomination is as sure as 'night follows day', according to one club official

INSIDE: LEADER OF THE PACK - PAGES 69-71

Gucci bags

CAPTION(S):

Big call: Walsh (left) is expected to rebuild after last

没有评论:

发表评论